Park House was built in 1863 by the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, as a villa for his comptroller, General Sir William Knolleys, who was responsible for the administration of his household.
Over the following 100 years it was lived in by several families, the last being the Spencers who moved out in 1974.
In 1983 Her Majesty, the Queen, patron of Leonard Cheshire Disability, offered the house to be used as a Cheshire Home. The trustees decided it should be converted into a country house hotel for disabled people and a nationwide appeal raised £1.6 million.
The hotel received its first guests on 1 April 1987 and Park House was officially opened by Her Majesty, the Queen on 31 July 1987.
Park House provides assistance with a wide range of disabilities including (but not limited to) MS, Parkinson’s, spina bifida, cerebral palsy, Huntingtons, spinal injuries and people living with the effects of a stroke.